Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by blackcat
I know I saw somewhere data at one point showing MN and Massachusets (and a couple other states) to be the highest performers.

Yes, but...you also have to consider the test. A lot of these tests are watered down. For example, look at these sample questions from Massachusetts (grade 4). Question 1 is at the level of 2nd or 3rd grade. And COPYING (not plotting) a number line (question 3)? And adding labels, which proves that students recognize that 51 1/2 in a table is the same as 51 1/2 on a number line? The hardest part of that one is a basic subtraction problem in part c. That's just ridiculous.

Alternatively, I've dug reasonably deep into the K-8 CC math standards and find them to be on solid mathematical ground. Fourth grade students learn to plot fractions and equivalent fractions on number lines. They add and subtract fractions and use a number line to see how things fit together. They begin the rudiments of proofs in mathematics.

Everything is explained in a mathematically correct way. It all builds logically. There is no memorization of algorithms.

This is why I referred to the PSAT as a universal benchmark there.

The cut scores for National Merit Scholar semi-finalists in each state are really telling. Same test, same age-cohort, and yet the 99.5th percentile in Massachusetts (thereby proving that I can, too spell it) is 230-something in any given year, and it's below 200 in Mississippi.

That speaks to a very different set of teaching standards, because the mean IQ levels estimated for the two states so do not account for the difference.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.