It seems like I am an outlier here. But I am going out on a limb here.

I probably need to explain. Have anyone told your kids about how much money you make? Most likely not. Then, how could you explain how important the hard work and education is? Last year, my DD then 8 asked how much I make and I answered it. Now, she is mature like a typical teenager. It was a teaching point as well and I explained about what profession makes about how much and stressed that she has to like what she would be doing. And that was for her information only and she should not be sharing with anyone unless necessary. And she didn't.

She did NNAT at 5 and OLSAT at 8 at different schools for admission to gifted program and she was aware of it that she is gifted (she asked me what is gifted last year and I explained including bell curve and SD although I gave her SD only).

This summer, she did WISC IV to qualify for DYS. Before application, I aksed her opinion on joining DYS and she asked her result. I gave her the result and she said "cool". I know she won't brag about it among her friends. I explained to her that having high IQ is like having big muscle. If you practice, you could become olympic weight lifter. If you don't, it will be useless (she argued she may be able to work for moving company and command the pay of two persons instead of one :-)

High IQ is innate ability. We celebrate achievement (positive reinforcement) at our house and not IQ. I do not go around announcing others but we do have her awards hanging in our study (just like people displayed their sports trophy). But we do put them away when we have some visitors (you know what kind of people I am talking about).

I believe it is OK to let the kids know especially if they are mature enough. It hasn't changed my DD. If anything, she is more tolerant and understanding when kids in her class slow to completing their tasks.