No, and I hate the term "gifted". "High potential" or "High ability" is better but I still won't use terms like that with my kids. Some people are very talented with art, music or sports (and many other things), but they have average IQ's. They are not "gifted"? I didn't tell DS anything at all about his testing, and with DD being in a "gifted cluster", I just told her that she's with kids who are advanced in reading and math and will do more challenging work. I wish schools would just put kids in the right level for their abilities without the "gifted" term. Do we really need a label? It just turns people off even talking about it. I was in "Honors" English in middle school, which basically consisted of kids with high verbal IQs or reading/writing achievement scores, but the name never implied much of anything at all about innate ability.

Some parents bring their (elementary school age) kids to gifted/talented meetings--for instance the school admin discussing the program or testing procedure to parents-- and it makes me cringe.