Ametrine, I don't know if you followed the other thread in which I confessed my horror at eating... {gulp}

Wilbur... as breakfast sausage...

I was about 7yo. I had truly loved Wilbur. I was DEEPLY suspicious of meat for a VERY long time after that, and really-- honestly-- it's never been the same since. I'd have been less inclined to be a vegetarian without that experience, in all probability. (Ironic, no?)

I wish that my parents had been up-front with me-- and respected my wishes without fanfare. I would NOT have voluntarily eaten my pig. But you know what? In the grand scheme of things, that would have been okay.

So when you make tacos with hamburger from Snip, set aside some black beans and let your DS know that whatever he decides is fine. That you and other members of the family will be eating Snip-- and remembering his happy life with you-- but that he doesn't NEED to feel obligated either way. That way the entire thing doesn't loom larger for him feeling that you tried to "trick" him-- which will potentially traumatize him-- and at the same time, you aren't treating the matter with more gravitas than your family believes is warranted.

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.