Originally Posted by Cricket2
If anyone has any other ideas other than intelligence as to innate differences in an individual that might impact his/her choice to become veg*n (vegan or vegetarian), let me know.

Here's some influences I brainstormed:
Character Trait Factors
Pragmatism
Empathy
Self-Deception
Single-mindedness (overlaps with pragmatism)
Intrinsically/Extrinsically motivated
Integration/psychological risk
All or nothing thinking
Conscientiousness

Philosophic/Idealogical
Species centrism
Darwinian perspective
Religious Beliefs re: sentientism
Religious Beliefs re: "purpose" of animals

Notes
Intrinsic/extrinsic may be a wash because fads vs. personal beliefs may play out in either direction.

Integration/psychological risk is likely easily overlooked but can be a big contributor. If a person views themselves as a new person each day, then to reinvent under a given philosophy is simple. But if the view is as a compounding of your past, then to accept the premise of cruelty is to face self-loathing head on as your entire past is rewritten.

I'm thinking single-mindedness in that if you are eating, you are eating and not contemplating the meaning of life.

All-or-nothing thinking might be a variant of integration except it is a bit of avoidance to see the slippery slope of where do you stop in deciding.

I actually wouldn't factor intelligence into the question. As it too is a bit of wash playing into some of the above factors.

Darwinian... Tasting great is a species survival trait that does wonders for the world-wide population of chickens.