There seems to be almost a hatred of veg*ns here. I don't get how people who choose to not eat meat are such terrible human beings. I have people look at me in disgust because I won't feast on flesh. I am an atheist, and I don't have to believe in souls to know that it just isn't right to kill- anyone or anything. Any creature that feels pain shouldn't killed, IMO.
"I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." -Leonardo da Vinci

I don't think that an animal's "low intelligence" (according to a human's scale) is a good enough reason to kill them.
"What is it that should trace the insuperable line? ...The question is not, can they reason nor can they talk but, can they suffer?" -Jeremy Bentham

All animals have nerves, blood, flesh, eyelashes- how can anyone deem them good enough to die? I like to bring my children up with love for everyone, no matter their looks or intelligence. It shouldn't factor in our minds which animal is deserving enough to live. Why do we get to be the ones who decides who lives or dies?
"Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar." ~Bradley Millar