As the mom of a DS who has insisted on reading the official DMV manual since he was 5 (he's now 6.5), and who has had an abiding interest in all things that have a gauge...including the speedometer on my car, I can say I've thought about this... A LOT.

Hubby and I constantly talk about driver safety and I wonder if it's helping or hurting our cause. Is DS understanding he is not capable until he has a license or is he "prepping" to drive when HE thinks he's capable?

Case in point: We don't let him pour his own milk from the gallon jug because, well..milk is darned expensive and a nearly full gallon is heavy for a child to manage. I told him time and time again to ask first before trying to pour his own. He continually tries to do it when HE thinks he can.

We live on some acreage and DS has his own motor scooter that in a residential area would require a license to drive. He drives it on our lawn.

Will he eventually try to take mommy's car for a spin? IDK. Apparently, according to YouTube, kids drive all the time.

Today he was very proud that he could hang my car keys on the rack.

---

You know, I think DH and I will have a very serious convo with DS about this.

Thanks for posting.