We don’t hide the car keys. I did get in the habit of keeping the keys in my bedroom at night. My oldest DS20, was quite rebellious during his mid teen years and taking the car without permission or his license was an absolute concern.

We have a closet with a key lock in the house where we keep any alcohol, medications, air cans, and other misc. hazards. After my oldest went through his rebellion, I figured you could never assume your children won’t try things despite the many conversations. My oldest appeared to be the poster child for good behavior most of his life. At 16, he went completely awry in a matter of months. It just isn’t worth the risk to me that one of my children or one of their friends gains access to something dangerous in my house.

I completely get they can find hazards other places, but I certainly won’t make it easy in my own house.

The story referenced by OP is silly to me to blame the parents for the keys. I have older kids in the house. It would have never entered my mind to worry about keys when my oldest was 8.