We only have a couple of rules and more guidelines. I have 4 so it is a tough balance to nurture their gifts, let them try different things to find what they like, and not overload.

The rules are they have to be committed enough that we don't have to hound them to practice and keep up with their stuff and once you start a season, you finish it. We did say no to a few things for various reasons, but the yes list is pretty long.

My DD10 is pretty settled in what she is doing. She does Piano (next door so easy), Ballet, and Softball.
My DD8 she homeschools and is also our truly gifted athlete, so it is a challenge to narrow things down. She does competitive gymnastics which is year round. She is also playing soccer and basketball (different seasons, so it works)
My twins DD/S 7 are not gifted and can't handle as much but my son plays Baseball and wants to play Basketball and my daughter after trying everything under the sun and deciding she doesn't like to sweat too much or be outside too long will join the acrobatics team. She was the tough one because she just doesn't have a passionate personality and has a hard time making decisions. So, I basically had to pick something for her that I thought she would like the most and where she wouldn't be in competition with her high achieving sisters. She does like to sing and this year the school will have a choir.

My DD10 is also teaching my son to play the piano (I won't pay for him because he would never practice everyday, but he does want to learn) MyDD8 will get music in her homeschool curriculum.