Everyday Math -- although as far as I can tell, they do still value correct answers.

Wellllllll.... "correct-correct?" Or "correct-according-to-this-lesson?"

Because I've seen some DOOZIES from Pearson Math curricula over the years. I'll let you know what my DD has to say about the redesigned "enVision" program which is ""Common Core-aligned."" Oh-- and the earlier grades, as noted, rely upon Spiral Reviews to Evoke Excellent Preparation.

I guess I can see where when there isn't any right/wrong it might take some getting used to. Still-- it makes me wonder what sort of "permanent" they intended, there. I can readily see how "perfect" is meaningless in that scheme, anyway. So that part makes sense.

LOL.

How about the entire notion that a child who has been grade accelerated must actually be at a much HIGHER standard of performance than his/her peers-- because otherwise, see, it's an example of a "maturity" problem. eek

Wait-- I have a better idea. How about teachers and administrators stop to consider the fact that grade accelerated students are frequently used to: a) performing under a HARSH white spotlight among peers, teachers, and pretty much every one but mom and dad; b) needing to prove that they belong-- over and over and OVER again; c) knowing that the majority of observers are just waiting to pounce on any mistakes as evidence that they don't belong there (or don't deserve the opportunity/placement/honor)? Oh, and let's add in all of the opportunities that they DO NOT have by virtue of being "too young" for those things that are accessed purely chronologically... so add in a highly compressed timeline for some opportunities which depend upon both maturity, intellectual readiness, and AGE... such as summer internships, jobs, etc.

Seems to me that "equal" achievement with peers several years older is actually no such thing-- it's really more like overcoming a serious handicap or three to achieve the same things. THAT ought to count for something. Seriously.

Maturity? BAH. My 14yo is far more mature than any number of 18yo college students I've personally encountered. smirk

MAYBE people doing the gatekeeping ought to stop and think about their biases long enough to realize that when they've met one outlier-- they've met one.

Which brings me right back around to nasty educational practices:

Assuming that not being (mathy/creative/assertive) means that you can't REALLY be a gifted student.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.