Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
The one sorting tool that we've looked (unsuccessfully) for is one that would allow sorting on the basis of pedagogy/academic culture. That is, are most classes taught with an interactive, intimate kind of philosophy involving faculty and classmates, or are they taught as cogs in a larger well-oiled 'machine' that has more-or-less interchangeable parts and uses the same script year after year while only the players (students, instructors) change? (That's not to say that the latter, if high-quality, isn't good for some students-- it's a learning style issue, mostly.)

In that mode, one must rely more on "best party school" lists as a negative indicator; in some sense also on size as a proxy for "more probably large/impersonal and less interactive." Research institutions may have a focus on efficiency at the lower-division undergraduate level, too.
^^^ This really what I was aiming for. DD is what I would call the research type who would thrive best in smaller classes with open/interactive student led format.....although at this point I wouldn't be surprised if her organized/leadership qualities turned her to government. sick

When I said I didn't know the difference between Harvard and community, I was exaggerating a bit. I do understand the basics and am well informed as to our local central Florida options. We live within an hour of USF and UCF which will certainly be on her list to investigate. However, when it comes to the top schools, I am at a total loss as to what (other than money) makes them so special. I have been taking classes at our local community college for a couple of years. And while I love the educational experience, I am fairly confidant that 1/2 - 3/4 of these kids barely graduated high school. We live in very low performing county. DD who is much brighter than I, would be miserable there.

I ordered the Fiske Guide and found the CollegeBoard website to be great. Thanks! I like the sorting tool options: it will give her a place to start narrowing down the field a bit. I really like how CB has the option to sort by (% of need met). I was surprised to see that most expensive/prestigious colleges were the ones most likely to cover the tuition for those of us on the lower end of the income field. << This makes mama relax. cool

In anycase, thanks for all the input. I'm sure we'll back with more questions and worries when things get more serious.