Thanks so much. You are correct. Ds is throwing the test and this is just part of dealing with a 2e kid (as maddening as it can be). Of course, like many 2e parents, you're desperate for help and sound advice, which you've given me and I am grateful for. And like many, you can feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel. It can be really exhausting being with ds7.5 all day; that's not to say I enjoy being with him for the vast majority of the time (delete the meltdowns please though). I

It would be nice to get help in addressing ds's social/emotional issues as well as his academic needs with the public schools. BUT realistically, this isn't going to happen. I know this, but some days I think maybe.... If I can just.... Ok, if I just sprinkle some pixie dust? Where's my magic wand to change things?

Cricket2 - ds has taken WISC 1st; WJ-III x2. Even Dr. Lovecky felt the scores on the WISC were too scattered and inconsistent to give her a true reflection of his abilities or potential. The first WJ-III came closer, but as I mentioned, ds blew off the math part completely (which drove me crazy).

I'm not sure if I need the social networking that DYS would afford, but my ds7.5 has been desperate for it lately. Will this motivate him or will he be willing to work on his test anxiety? I don't know. Possibly. Maybe not now, but perhaps in another year or two. Since it doesn't cost anything to have the WJ-III, presumably my son can try each year if the school district is willing.

MumofThree and Polarbear - yes, I'm being delusional to think ds could handle a public school experience. That's irrational. I was reminded yesterday when my ds was talking about Jane Goodall and Charles Darwin. Oh yea, normal 7.5-yr-olds talk about this stuff (lol); forget about the sensory/anxiety/attentional issues that goes out of sync during big developments or the reactive hypoglycemia at times.

I think I started to question it because I keep seeing posts on this forum or others about pg kids who were in public schools (being accelerated or not). After thinking about it though, it dawned on me that these pg kids who were in public schools were most likely NOT 2e. That's a huge, huge difference - which can be easily overlooked.

Dr. Lovecky had advised us to treat ds like a special needs child and to concentrate on the special needs, which we have done and continue to do.

Ds7.5 recognizes that there isn't someone like him around who thinks like he does or plays like he does. He's desperate to find someone who shares his love of history and in particular Mesoamerica - which is impossible to find. I said that he's got a supercharged brain, but he doesn't always have the brakes, the steering wheel, and sometimes isn't on the right track. Today, I was talking to him about being on the learning track (i.e. doing a puzzle, karate, reading, etc.) rather than the trouble track (name calling, taking off the neighbor's basement vent, etc.) and going through the advantages/disadvantages of them.

I do think eventually ds might qualify for DYS. I think with time, maturity, and concentrating on the special needs, he'll eventually be able to handle a tests and his fear of them. Of course, if a gifted school didn't insist on using Xtramath for kindergarten kids, then perhaps ds would have been in a different situation. Then again, it's hard to say. Still, I don't think making him use Xtramath helped at all.

Polarbar - I think you're right that the trick is finding things to stimulate these kids' brains and to keep them out of mischief or spiraling down a rabbit hole. I agree that you've got to plug away with helping to remediate/accommodate/understand their challenges.

We bought a house last spring and the previous owner left a copy of the Feeling Good Handbook (quite a handy find). There is a chapter on test and performance anxiety in the book. At some point, I will try to use it with ds and some of the other chapters in the book.