My son had the Weschler a couple of years ago. The results came back too scattered and inconsistent. I was advised by a 2e expert last June to have ds in neurofeedback and follow a general curriculum series before having him be re-tested.

I admit that I jumped the gun by having him get re-tested with the WJ-III achievement test within a year, but I was starting to panic on what to do since he was rapidly accelerating through the general curriculum series. So that's a mea culpa.

Still, I was reading the book, The Defiant Child, today and think that ds is scared of failure; he's a bit of a perfectionist. He likes to be in total control over his environment and has been resenting the fact that he's a child and not an adult who lacks absolute power/control. I don't think he considered while taking the WJ-III that it was for his benefit or the consequences if he did not perform to his ability. He even asked after I initially got the results whether there was another test he could take. I said yes, but that perhaps it would be best to wait for a bit.

Cricket2 - DYS accepted our portfolio BUT my son still lacks a qualifying score with either the Weschler or WJ-III. The thing is - he knew he didn't put any effort into the WJ-III since he told me shortly after we received the test results and I nearly blew my top when I read that he used his fingers to subtract. He was playing a game with the tester and the test.

Epoh - I do agree with you that the public school would be crisis inducing for him. Last June a 2E expert advised us to find another private school or homeschool. She said that we wouldn't get any help from the public schools - or we could send him to public schools but be prepared for failure or to withdraw him again. She said that we would get nothing from the public schools in our area. Today, I had a look at the K-5 reading list for the local public school. Well, you can imagine. It's Frog and Toad for grade 2. And ds has already read the Secret series for grade 5.

Ds is an only child and so desperate to find a soul mate and playdates. Everyone seems to be in formal schools (public or private) around here. It's been a source of aggravation for both of us this year with homeschooling and been a difficult journey at times socially and emotionally. I looked at Mensa nationally, but they want test scores - but perhaps I will submit last year's results so he can get in!

My plan is to try the Boy Scouts, martial arts, or some other programs (ie. soccer, robotics, etc.) in the fall, but it's been a challenge this year with a lot of defiance and resistance from him at times. He does connect with kids at church during Sunday school so that's good.

This summer he's been going to some of the library programs (arts/crafts stuff) so he can be with other kids but he always seems to want more, more, more and is desperate to really click with one person. Been driving me nuts some days. One minute he expects me to conjure up a pg kid like him with the same interests, which is impossible to find locally (not even sure nationally). Next minute, he's a bit bossy and manipulative with other kids or barely containing control over himself (ie. anger, frustration, etc.) for an entire day. I had to institute a monster time out today (ie. name calling, threats, rudeness, disrespectful, etc.). I'm exhausted from it all some days.