Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by eastcoast
No, I don't mean to ask if you are an evangelical who supports gifted education. I mean, are you someone who sees value in educating others (mainly teachers and administrators) in the benefits and necessity of appropriate gifted education for your children?
I live in an affluent suburb of Boston. Massachusetts students typically rank near the top on national tests such as the NAEP, and our school district ranks high in Massachusetts.

The teachers and administrators do not want to hear about gifted children. Here is the belief system:

"We have great schools -- give us more money (pass a tax override) but otherwise shut up. You are free to afterschool your children, but don't expect us to consider what your child knows. If he is in 5th grade, he studies 5th grade math. Period. What are you complaining about? Look at our MCAS scores."

I have heard that the 'worst' school districts can be the best for a child who needs more accommodations. The 'good' districts are so sure of their excellence that they refuse to see a need for anything other than what they provide, whereas the 'bad' districts are used having work things out. I met someone a couple of weeks ago whose child is in one of the 'worst' districts, and he had glowing praise for their gifted program.

(scare quote usage fully intentional)