I just didn't start with the belief that school is the "default" option. I've known many homeschoolers in my life. Public school is fine, but I don't think opting out is some big huge decision.

My kids don't have medical problems, or 2e, the school staff are literally my friends. They truly care about the kids and it shows. The kids in town are not clickish, they fight and cuss and spit and act like kids, but they're good friendly kids whose mamas have taught them better.

My friends and family keep trying to give me an "out" and claim I don't have a choice because his academic needs are not being met. I swear I am just choosing to do it by choice. I'm not at all sure about socialization. Before this year he socialized at the playground at the mall, at sports, and at public dances/bbqs, but school is the big social event. I don't know if his social needs have changed drastically from just one year in school.

One non-academic benefit that should balance the lost socialization is outside play time. All year long he complained about not feeling like he had enough time to play. Here it gets ridiculously hot most afternoons by the time he gets out of school. Next year when we're homeschooling I plan to kick them out in the yard in the morning when it's cool outside. I can sit on the porch and drink my morning coffee.

I guess I'd rather say it's just my choice because I have no reason to say the school's not doing a good enough job. I think it would have been different except he started out learning that he doesn't have to do his work in school. But that does not mean they did not do a good job. They did what they were supposed to do and they taught the lessons to their class. They made accomodations and advanced him from the start because he really is very advanced. He just didn't play along and was allowed to opt out of doing his work all year. I could honestly just let it go and I'm sure it would turn out fine by the twelfth grade. I'm not making any specific plans for or against mainstreaming them back into school some other year.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar