oh man, cdfox, you've also nailed it.

Problems #1, #2 and #3 are definitely happening for us - i used to wonder about 2e (dyslexia) because she'd hoover up information, but didn't bother trying to read till this year. but you know, i actually feel excited - like i'm running toward homeschooling, rather than away from anything.

i do feel like a complete moron for having spent 4+ years of her life thinking that she wasn't that different. we're really weird parents*: we answer questions with questions, we assume she can rather than can't, we read her anything she's interested in, even if it is about schizophrenia.

but now that we've been through this horrible year, i know better. it isn't our choices that have made her who she is at all - at best, they've simply encouraged her. when i look back, i can see that i had a full conversation with her about mitosis when she was 2½ and that her hero at age 3 was Terry Fox, and now at 5 she wants to be a cancer surgeon or a biomedical engineer... she's just different - she's herself - and it's our job to make sure she has the freedom to stay that way.

my book will be probably called Sample Size of One: A Cautionary Tale.

(jk - i'm not writing a book!)

(*though i bet we're not at all weird around here - YAY!)

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 06/07/13 10:51 AM.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.