Thank you SO much for the insights on the Brown textbook-- you knew EXACTLY what I wanted to know and why! I really love teacher's editions for another reason, too; they often have enrichment/explanation notes which are detailed or too technical for inclusion in the student editions. DD has also learned this and actively ASKS me to get teacher's editions of texts when I can.

DD's foundation is probably better than I give her credit for, honestly, because she simply doesn't learn any way but "thoroughly" when she learns math.

However, Pearson's idea of competent math instruction leaves a huge gap on the way toward MY notion of thorough. LOL.

DD has already stumbled onto the idea of limits and functions on her own...

and has expressed exasperation at the 'slow/painful' process of using algebra to "approximate" (her term) solutions to classical mechanics problems in Physics this year.

So maybe I'm selling her short on the AoPS approach. I dunno. It just seems like she is seldom willing to spend any time cranking through the mechanics unless the problems themselves are pretty interesting to her.

Physics has been golden that way. She definitely remembers all the trig she learned, though-- she has breezed through optics.

That's why I think that keeping AP Stats is a good move strategically-- for her. She will have next summer, and honestly, employment probably isn't on the radar anyway for other reasons.

It's also possible that we'll be able to stuff in precalc next year. You never know.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.