Excellent-- THANK YOU. I didn't have the terminology, but this is something we've been concerned with in all of DD's math coursework thus far. There has been an elimination of much of the deductive reasoning work that used to be so much a part and parcel of geometry and everything after. It's all just pushing stuff through the grinder now. They SHOW them proofs-- a bit-- but then the most they are asked to do is fill.in.the.blanks.with.the.right.postulate.

(Makes me crazy, that. Also-- leads to a lot more of those wildly out of level questions at least with my DD.)

She wants to know where the quadratic equation COMES from. KWIM?

The reason that I'm a little reluctant to have her tackle AoPS at this level, though, is that it may be too much for her all at once, given her previous conditioning. (Gee, thanks mediocrity-focused public school maths... ugh.)

Great recommendations here, everyone!! It is sincerely appreciated.

DD has already dug into her AP Stats textbook for next year. (Apparently this is more fun than the ten overdue AP Literature assignements for THIS year... LOL).

It's Bock, Velleman, and de Veaux's "Stats: Modelling the World."

I can't speak to the math (yet) but the writing style is very engaging and amusing, so it's right up my DD's alley. I'll update as I have a chance to look through it further.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.