Originally Posted by bluecircle
I worry he will be bored or will already know so much by the time he starts that he will not fit in...

people warned us about this with our DD5 her whole life. they said, "you should stop her - she won't fit in - what's the rush?"... but frankly, she could not be denied and just flew along at her own pace - getting interested in everything from surgery to philosophy. ... until she hit Jr. K this year, took one look around and said, "oh dear, i guess i shouldn't do all these things i do." there was a lot of pressure to be "friends with everyone" - and what she wound up doing was morphing herself into what each kid wanted her to be. they love her - she despises them.

she'd been to Montessori, prior - and they took a while to realize that they had to keep a few steps ahead of her, but Jr. K (even at what we thought was an amazing school) wasn't set up for her to be herself. she spent the whole year pretending she couldn't read or do math - and because of this... we've now got a 5 year old who literally wants to quit school.

so i guess what i've learned this year is that when choosing a school of any kind, asking plenty of blunt questions up front is the key. like you, we spent all our early years glossing over DD's reality - which is fine to get along socially - but it's a disaster in any school situation.

best of luck - welcome - and your kid sounds totally awesome.

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 05/10/13 07:41 AM.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.