DD's initial meeting with the psychologist was less than fruitful. She met alone for 45 minutes and then I joined them for the final 15. Is it possible that my child was putting on a performance, because I didn't recognize her at all. She was crawling around under the coffee table, rolling on the floor, wouldn't answer direct questions, was crawling in my lap and putting her head down and just generally all over the place. Behavior I have never seen before from her. Ever. The doctor just had us write down three things she could do instead of hitting when she gets upset and sent us on our way. Not what I had expected.

I called to follow up and asked about testing or further evaluation. Basically she thought we should just proceed with therapy every two weeks and get a feel for what behavior modifications we can help DD make. She advised that it might take a few months for DD to get comfortable enough to make any headway, but that testing isn't something that she does.

So back to the drawing board. My gut tells me that getting a complete evaluation is the correct place to start. I just can't see doing months of therapy in the hopes that eventually something will click. Especially when my kid seemed so incredibly disengaged.

Has anyone else seen a changeling appear before their eyes?