Originally Posted by master of none
I may be really unpopular with this advice, but I'd bring the advocate and I'd focus 100% on the positive. How much better things are now that the para isn't doing the scribing, how much happier your DS is. Can I see some of the work he is doing? What's happening with the enrichment work? Ask questions and pretend you trust the principal. Let the advocate be the one to say anything negative that needs to be said.

Actually, this is great advice - not only because it is practical and positive but because it is true. DS is much happier and less irritable now that he is getting his scribing accommodations, now that he is permitted to do enrichment work in math instead of re-writing his numbers, and now that the offending para is not longer scribing for him. He is much better/happier and he is flying ahead in math. I think this really good advice, MON - it is a good strategy as it reinforces what they are doing that is RIGHT ... and it proves that I was right about what the problem was/is, i.e., DS has behavior problems (and anxiety) when DS is in a hostile learning environment - his environment was growing more and more toxic and he was becoming more and more irritable and unhappy. Now that that tide has been reversed he is flourishing again. It's true and it is much appreciated. The stress that *I* need to go through to get to everything that point is not appreciated but, hey, I guess I could look at the bright side - they sure are getting me thin for bathing suit season.