Originally Posted by Bluestar
Yeah, I'm getting discrepancies between what the staff is saying and what my daughter is saying; my daughter tells me she can read level M books but her teacher is saying she's testing out at level K. Anyone have thoughts on why? My thought is that maybe they are looking for complete mastery rather than introductory skill levels.

It might not even be as much as "complete mastery" but they were (at least in our schools) looking for a basic rubric (as mentioned by another poster) met at each level. That didn't necessarily mean students were only allowed to choose books at that level, that was simply the level that they were documented to be at when tested.

The scientist in me also wants to add - K isn't that far away from M (unless you've got a different alphabet than the one our school uses wink ). I wouldn't be bothered much by the teacher and my child disagreeing by that amount - it might be something as simple as your dd had a slight cold on the day of the eval and wasn't performing at her best, or your dd is telling you the level she's allowed to check books out at and her teacher is telling you the level she's mastered.

Best wishes,

polarbear