Originally Posted by Tallulah
I would definitely get IQ testing, it measures potential, not achievement, so it will bolster your point that you have not pushed her. But don't expect it to be the magic bullet. They might be quite capable of saying "1 in 50000 IQ? Still needs to work on handwriting and focus in class".

Ditto!

I would try to leave the frustration you rightly feel over the suggestion you are "hurrying" her and gather as much data as you can before your next meeting to advocate. Having IQ testing will help; the other thing that will help is familiarizing yourself with the school (and your school district and state) curriculum guidelines for her current grade and the grade levels she's capable of working at or has already mastered.

For instance (please know I am not trying to pick apart your post here, just offering this up as an example where the school staff might try to trip you up in an advocacy meeting): you said above that she's doing "math and reading at Gr 3-4", and then you mentioned her figuring out the negative number line. If you're going to offer that up as an example of her working at Gr 3-4, make sure that's when it's introduced in her school - my kids were all introduced to the concept of negative numbers in school before Gr 3.

You also need to be prepared, as Tallulah mentioned, to continue to meet the same brick wall of resistance. Sometimes no matter how good a fit a school seems when you're looking in from the outside, it doesn't necessarily work out that well once you're actually there.

Hang in there!

polarbear