Originally Posted by cdfox
After all, it's fruit and fruit is supposed to be healthy for you, which it is.

Not if you have a salicylate intolerance it's not... I have one child that can scoff down fruit all day with no problems what so ever, as can my husband. And one who can eat very, very strictly controlled amounts and only certain kinds of fruit, and never in combination with other salicylates... And absolutely never, ever fruit juice.

Intolerance is very hard to get your head around at first because it's a load issue. You may be able to tolerate none, or maybe a small amount, but not a large amount of amines - but most people have no idea that chocolate, oranges and cheese all have high amine content, so they say there is no pattern to which foods cause problems and it's not a food issue. If you have a low amine tolerance then maybe you can have one piece of chocolate, but not a whole bar, or you can have one piece of chocolate but not with a cheese sandwich... We understand this concept just fine with alcohol - we understand that if we drink a glass of beer, a glass of wine and a glass of whisky in quick succession that the effect is cumulative. We also understand that some people have very low tolerance for alcohol (the proverbial cheap drunk) and that some have a very high tolerance (my girlfriend from years ago that could drink a man twice her size under the table), and even that you can increase your tolerance over time (but is that actually good for you?). But very few of us understand all the other chemicals that some people have lower tolerance for that are in a wide variety of "healthy" foods... Who knew my DD hated broccoli for a reason?