There have been some good studies in the UK regarding diet & behavior. It was not specific to ADHD, but a diet with lots of fresh veg, high in protein and low in sugar produces better behavior and better concentration (=test scores) in children. That all happened, iirc, around the time Jamie Oliver was working on changing the UK school lunch system. I'm still wading through my morning work emails, but if I get a chance later I'll dig them up.

One thing that's also been recommended, but there aren't really any studies for is large Omega-3 supplements (like 2 or 3x what's normally recommended). Again, there's really not much down-side, so we do this as well. I can't say I see much difference with the fish oil, but I'm sure it's not hurting anything either, and everything I've read says fish oil is good for you.

We did a lot of diet changes with DS when he was younger... from about age 3-7 red dye would turn him into a crazed monster. It was pretty insane. It doesn't appear to effect him much anymore (thank god), but you might try eliminating food dyes and then slowly adding them back after 2 weeks and see if there are any reactions (red and yellow seem to be the more common triggers.)

I also wanted to add, I do not have anything against alternative treatments for ADHD! Neurofeedback seems very promising, and I've heard of some people seeing results from the CogMed stuff. My only concern is people spending thousands and thousands of dollars on something, without understanding the true efficacy of it.

Last edited by epoh; 03/20/13 06:29 AM.

~amy