writing process "new idea" ((as if))

I was trying to help DS10's teacher puzzle out his responce to writing a paper on a topic. I think that the whole idea strikes DS10 as redundant, as in, what is the point of taking information out of books and reworking it into a 4 page paper, when LOL, the information is already on the internet and in Books. ((LOLROTF - could he please be less insightful sometimes?))

Anyway - they are "teaching" him to structure the paper by putting 5 questions about his topic, Egypt, on note cards and having him answer the questions. Then they complain that he questions he askes are generating short answers that will not magically grow into paragrahps like the method says they will.

I was suggesting that they ask him to put "perspective" on the 5 cards, not "questions." Then I had the insight that the process is comperable to the fable about the blind men examining the Elephant - each has their own perspective. That got me very excited because aren't we all blind when we try to take on a complicated subject? Isn't this the essence of the excersize?

I was imagining going around teaching children to explore through writing with my wonderful story. Then I remembered: If I tryed in on many normal children, their response would be - what does an elephant and a bunch of blind guys have to do with Egypt?

Similarly, DS10 is just as mystified why a person would want to use 5 questions to write a paper.

LOLOLOL! At least I can brag about my great idea here, and expect to help at least one other family.

Love and More Love,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com