Originally Posted by Ania
I would let him do free flowing writing at home, while he is working with you- after all this will build his creativity.

Thank you, Ania! Your advice (and Trinity's, too) confirms what my instinct was telling me--to just let him write and express his creativity and start to love writing instead of hate it.

I am all for creative writing, so just learn how to survive this teacher.

Just for the record... Actually his teacher this year is absolutely wonderful, despite the way I described her comments regarding the writing issues. In fact I'd say she's the best teacher he's had yet. She is so enthusiastic about her work (this is her second year of teaching), patient and kind, encouraging, and emotionally nurturing--which DS8 needs. She challenges him to put forth his best effort and he likes her so much that he really wants to please her and do well. Once he thought he hurt her feelings by complaining about something, so he spent a long time composing a poem of apology to her, and re-writing it neatly on a card he made, and taped Tootsie Rolls all over it because he knew she liked chocolate....it was cute.

She and I have a great rapport. We talk often--phone calls and email--and have what I think of as little mini-conferences about DS on all types of things. She called me after school on Monday just to tell me that DS had an awesome day, was so happy all day long, didn't get emotional about anything, etc. I told her I am praying fervently that she gets bumped up to 4th grade next year so DS can stay with her for another year!

I keep telling myself and my kids that grades are not the most important thing here

You're right, Ania, and thanks for the reminder. Grades do not always equal learning.