AMDStreit,

My son was tested using the SB-5 recently. As I have posted earlier, his score was lower than the SB-4 score that he received four years earlier. This is apparently typical for both the new WISC-IV and the SB-5.

Our tester informed us that the gifted group norm average for the SB-5 was 123.7 and according to another parent on a seminar with the Davidson Institute, the gifted group norm average for the WISC-IV was also 123.something. The requirement to participate in the gifted norm group for the SB-5 was a previous I.Q. test with a minimum (emphasize MINIMUM according to his psychologist tester) full scale of 130. I assume it was also a requirement for the WISC gifted norm group.

According to another parent participant of the seminar, these tests were adjusted to counter the Flynn Effect. At the very least, your child may score lower than he would if he had taken one of the earlier tests. Be sure that your tester is aware of this probability.

P.S. if a teacher says (admits) that your child is the most advanced they have seen in 30+ years, you will need to find an alternate school than the lock step one he currently attends.

Good luck and welcome.