Thank you everyone!

I definitely think that I don't follow through with consequences for bad behavior as well as I should. I will work on the transition period a little more. You are right, it is so hard to remember that our little ones are still little sometimes.

I don't think that I expressed myself very well in my first post. I'm really interested in your views as to whether educational screen time, i.e. math drills, Khan Academy, etc. fall under the same restrictions on computer usage. I have this debate with myself constantly. Is there, should there be, a difference between the computer as a learning device and the computer as digital entertainment?

I know that a lot of my concern and inability to know where to draw the line comes from feeling as if he is not learning much at school. I feel guilty when I tell him he can't get on the computer for a school type activity when I know that he is showing that he is ready and willing to learn more. Where else is he going to get it? At the same time I see him being able to live on the computer and that is not something I want for him. He is only 5. What about building, playing outside, doing an art project?

I'll apologize now as I'm afraid I'm still not articulating this very well. Thank you for your patience.

Last edited by Eibbed; 01/27/13 04:07 PM.