Originally Posted by master of none
Unfortunately, we've been through 6 violin teachers and can't find someone who will support. DD will practice, but it's very hard for her to repeat, repeat, repeat. Sure it would lead to better skill, but it also kills any creative desire for her.

I also know little of music and DS7 may or may not take up music. It seems that practice of a sort aimed towards performance may be useful for a large percentage of people. But drill down depth first learning is not the best approach for all people. If she is oriented towards music in a very creative way, and she is an exploratory learner, then I'd think trying a wide variety of different instruments and playing many different pieces would be the best way to go.

Personally, I don't learn things by repitition of the same. I learn by doing a wide and changing variety of things. People learn to write by reading and writing a lot, but not typically the same things in perpetuity. It's almost an inverse where for a small percent of creative writers perfecting one piece is epiphanic for them. When it is art like writing, the outside driver to success is not a teacher, but a mentor.

So, continuing your theme, maybe what you need is not a violin teacher but rather a music mentor; someone who is oriented towards music creatively.