I'm just using my imagination here because I did not take music lessons as a child and I only have young children. I have seen a few "grown" men who had some kinds of synthisizers, keyboards, even one hooked his electric keyboard to the computer for some reason. They were able to compose and mix full length songs, for example mixing flute (sounds) with guitar, piano, and drum synthesizers and vocals. It looked like one track at a time and blend them. I have no idea how expensive this. I also don't know if this is the end results you're looking for. I thought if your kid has learned his lessons maybe you could describe this to a music store salesman and see if it's not too expensive to set him up a little home recording studio like this it should last for years of use. He can begin to create his own thing. If he needs more lessons it will show him where and why. Just throwing that out there.

PS. Thanks Cawdor for sharing about the Fisher Price I Can Play Piano. Awesome-sauce!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar