I haven't read the entire thread, but I'll throw in our story.

DD17 quit lessons a few years ago. Basically, the entire time she was taking lessons (a good 7-8 years), she never practiced what she was supposed to. Since she is very musically talented, she was able to sightread well enough to convince her teacher that she had actually been practicing over the week. I didn't realize that she hadn't been practicing because she did play piano all the time. It just happened that it wasn't what she had been assigned. Towards the later years when she was playing difficult classical music, this didn't work as well, and she started to really hate lessons.

This always confused me, because I thought DD was really talented with piano. It turns out she was talented in a different way - she has less success trying to play off sheet music than she does just listening to a song and creating her own arrangement. When we eventually let her quit, we learned that quitting piano lessons didn't change her love for music. She still plays piano constantly (and has taken up several other instruments), and is keyboardist in a band.

So, quitting piano lessons might seem like "the end of the road", but definitely isn't always smile. Anyway, that's just our story. Best of luck as you decide.