I also agree this is a very personal decision, that each family needs to make based on their own beliefs etc...

That said, I think that a child who has played any instrument, or any sport etc for that matter, after a certain amount of time- they know whether they like it or not. They have certainly shown whether they have an aptitude for it or not. But even if they show amazing talent, if the desire, or ambition, the love of (in your case) playing piano- if that is not there? I really feel that the child deserves to be heard and considered, and ultimately that it should be their choice at some point.

I do not believe after so many years vested, if the decision is being made for the right reasons, I don't believe this is encouraging your child to be a "quitter".

I am in agreement that music is important for kids, I believe it is an important and wonderful way for them to express and release emotions and energy... and some kids go on to show amazing talent in the field- but I don't think that formal lessons are a Must. I think just the exposure to music is important, and yes, the opportunity to take lessons is a wonderful thing, but just exposure, and having an instrument etc to play "for fun" is also an amazing thing.

I strongly believe that a child who really likes/enjoys something-- they will WANT to do it- they will show a definite dedication to it. I believe this because of personal experience.
maybe- Allow him to take a break? Perhaps he will realize he really does want to do it, and ask to start back?
Also, kids change, something they loved @ 6 they may not love @ 12! That's very normal! **I wonder if your child should be introduced to another instrument? I went from the piano, to the clarinet. and I fell in love smile Thanks to the piano, I knew music theory, I could read music- and the clarinet uses same scale, so it was very easy transition really...
Possibly your son might enjoy the sax?

*I am planning to start my DS6 on piano soon! He has a beautiful Ludwig drum kit and he loves to play "for fun" no formal lessons yet. He has also been "playing" (on the) piano since he was an infant, as my mother gave him her Baldwin upright- it sits in his playroom, and he plays it quite often, and has asked to take piano lessons. I've been waiting d/t $ and I also read that it is better to introduce piano/music theory after reading is well established--- any thoughts on that to all you parents of young pianists?

Good luck with your decision...

One can never consent to creep when
one feels an impulse to soar!
~Helen Keller