I came in tonight to ask whether anybody thought things had just gotten a little easier or a whole lot harder for those of us with AS children, and here was this thread already! Thanks, Lisa.

With all the discussion in the news about Asperger's/Autism and mental health issues, it seems possible that getting help might be easier -- but on the other hand, there just became a lot more stigmatism about it, too. I just don't know.

(Edited to add: LMAO the next morning when I realized I had typed "stigmatism" there. Amazing I didn't combine three words and make it say "stigmatatism". Let's try "stigma", shall we, when not so exhausted?)

I do know that Bill O'Reilly was talking about how he didn't fit into society (shooter, not O'Reilly, though a case could be made either way), and then he called the guy a "weirdo", at which point I changed the channel.

I sympathize with the "I am ...Mom" -- while I've never had anything near as extreme as her experiences, I did say when DS was 4, he's going to grow up to kill us in our sleep someday. I haven't felt that in a long time, but there is still a lot of anger in the kid, and a lot of self-justification, and not enough empathy. It's a long, uphill road.

Last edited by Nautigal; 12/18/12 11:40 AM.