Disillusioned Mac users - jobs biography has a fascinating discussion of the fallout between Wozniak and jobs over closed versus open tech. Wozniak has a wonderfully
Zen disucssion of jobs and concedes that tech people hate jobs closed approach but that jobs was really about the non tech masses, people who just want it to work, new maps app notwithstanding...

Yes-- my DH and I understood this transformation completely after my mother, ca. 1995, (in)famously deleted the contents of her 'system' folder on her Apple IIe because she (and I'm quoting here)....

looked at all of that stuff and decided that it didn't make any sense to her anyway, and it was just taking up space in that folder on the desktop. So she deleted it to tidy things up a bit.
shocked eek

Yes. Building a PUI/GUI for someone like THAT? Very, very different matter than for someone like me or my DH. Bulletproof takes on a whole new meaning with a person who is perfectly willing to delete anything that doesn't seem useful on the human side, KWIM? DH and I? We would be Woz's people... but my mom sure wasn't. I've since learned that she's probably a lot more typical of where most people fall on this spectrum, realistically.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.