I get the point about wanting to have parental consent first, and I agree that if it were my kid I would want to get copied on everything sent to her (at least for now--she's only 9!) but to be honest we have had some teachers who just didn't give a darn about the students (or at least about DD), so when I hear about a teacher who is trying to give them some responsibility and help them meet deadlines, etc., I think the teacher should get a gold star or something. Our school also sends texts and we don't have a text plan because of the $$, but you can have them sent to an email account so it works out. The kids who don't have computers, though, would really seem to be at an extra disadvantage. The computers at our public library seem to always be in use for people playing video games, plus our public libraries are scattered pretty widely, and most of them are nowhere near a school, so good luck getting there on your own after school, kid. It seems like there should be more attention to this issue by the schools than just saying you can go the library to do your homework.