Yeah, my child does not own any Apple products, and neither do we. wink My last one was one I had at work.

My 5yo Sansa MP3 player still works just fine. Why would I replace it?? I finally got a new cell phone when mine wouldn't hold a charge anymore and battery replacement was just as expensive as upgrading. (It was a five year old flip phone.) The shortest time I've ever kept a car was 10 years.

We routinely keep computers and cellular phones about twice (and in many cases, three to five times) as long as the "expected lifetime." Until a year ago, I was still using Windows 98.

This is much funnier when you realize that my DH works for a high tech company-- and that he's not alone among his colleagues.

Anyway. Just pointing out that not everyone "participates" even if they could (in theory, anyway) afford to do so. Some of us just think it's rather pointless if we don't see an actual need being filled by the trappings of modern living. I don't see much point in FB, so I'm not on FB. KWIM?

High speed internet, we pay for-- because that matters. I run a website and am involved in several other NPO activities, and my DH works from home, and my DD needs the broadband for school (which she does from home).

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.