Originally Posted by polarbear
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
While I like the idea of 'reminders' like this in some ways-- I also do NOT like the idea of communication methods which don't directly involve the parents in some way,if only tangential.

OTOH, wouldn't you expect a student in middle school to be transitioning to a place where they are responsible for keeping track of homework assignments and studying for tests? I understand that parents need feedback on grades etc, but as a parent I do want my children to move toward independence in managing their work. Middle school ages in general (kids who aren't radically accelerated) are the ages that children typically are becoming more independent in general, starting to pull away from wanting their parents involved in every minute detail of their lives, start having some reality of a life independent of parents. It seems like developmentally that it makes sense that this is also the time students begin to be given more independence in study reminders, responsibility for keeping track of homework etc. Not every child is ready at the same time, but over the broad sweep of the middle school years most children are growing and naturally want more responsibility in this area.

Our teachers use email to remind students and to send papers to them, and they don't cc parents on the email. I don't feel like it's something I need to be involved in - I see that as part of classwork with a 21st century twist. The reminders via text (from my perspective) seem to be nothing more than a reminder written on a bulletin board, and I don't go into my kids' classrooms each day to check what's written on the bulletin board.

polarbear

Yes-- but remember, my perspective here is different because I am involved in DD's day to day schooling via her virtual school. Probably not as much as some people envision... (I mean, I basically just sort of check in to make sure that work is BEING done, and that there aren't any problems anywhere) but still. Communication *mostly* needs to be cc:ed to mom and dad. That is simply how school-student communication happens around here. In *all* schools and youth activities. It's not that parents need to be INVOLVED, so much as they need to be looped into communication from the school (or youth activities). It's the parents' decision how much independence their kids are ready for and can manage on their own, that way. KWIM?

I was chiming in mostly because I see such a thing being potentially problematic even for the majority of my DD's friends who are not virtual school students, unless it were presented in a variety of formats. I mean, what's wrong with Blackboard, for heaven's sakes??

Honestly, this strikes me as technology for its own sake more than anything else. Why is this substantially better/different from e-mail or a posting on a class bulletin board?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.