Exactly, Jon.

My daughter is remarkable among her peers (as noted-- most of whom are 3+ years her senior) for having both a feature phone and a texting plan.

Many of her friends either do not have cell phones of their own (they are permitted to use a "house" cell on an as-needed basis) or they have not got a texting plan for one. The few who do have texting plans do so because of apparent need (to communicate via text with parents)-- and most of them don't "abuse" the privilege; but all of the kids in that group have more lenient parents when considered in the context of that peer group. The more 'strict' parents much more tightly control their kids' electronic access.

She doesn't have any friends who have smartphones of their own.

These are mostly HIGH-SCHOOL KIDS-- and all of them are 8th grade and up.

Mostly this is because her peer group has parents who don't see a "need" for such things. It's not about ability to pay (though in at least a few instances, it could be that too) since these are also families who are paying out of pocket for college, enrolling their kids in pricey extracurriculars, etc. We live in a reasonably affluent place.

While I like the idea of 'reminders' like this in some ways-- I also do NOT like the idea of communication methods which don't directly involve the parents in some way,if only tangential.

Besides, with the sheer volume of incoming electronic messaging that my DD, my DH, and I get each day? Phhhhhhhhth. Anyone who is this wired in probably gets so much of this stuff that sorting through it all becomes yet another thing to do. Not exactly helpful.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.