I chimed in earlier in the thread and haven't read through all of the replies so please forgive me if anyone has already mentioned the topic below.

My eldest being a first semester Freshman in college, I've noted a gifted issues that is perhaps not a disadvantage perhaps but at least a double edged sword.

DS took Algebra 1 in 6th grade...fast forward Calc II first semester of his Jr. year. He then decided to move to some other math classes like AP Stats and Discreet Math. After being admitted to the college of his choice the college required every student to take the ALEKS math placement test. It had been 4 years since he'd done much Algebra and 2 years since he'd done any Calc. Needless to say he was pretty rusty and ended up needing to do some heavy review and taking the ALEKS a second time.

A similar situation happened in Chem. which he took his Soph. year of HS, pretty rusty by the time he hit college. If he would have needed to take the ALEKS placement test for foreign language he likely would have been quite rusty with that too having completed his foreign language studies early as well.

You get the point, done with the HS curriculum early, forget some of it or get rusty in a subject, then needing to go back and relearn what you've already done in order to move forward again.

Last edited by Old Dad; 10/04/12 07:34 AM.