Not in my house. Your mileage obviously varies, but the primary goal for my children in school is to learn socialization and become functional adults. Academics come effortlessly -- they can learn more academics with an hour of instruction from me every day. If all I wanted for them was academic growth they would be homeschooled. School is for the harder stuff: social awareness, cooperative learning, team building, and even, yes, learning how to do group activities they think are boring or beneath them with a good attitude.

I don't have an education background and I'm not very good at teaching things (also, my kids are not PG). I don't really think I could teach them as much "in an hour" as they learn at school all day. Okay, maybe in K and 1.

I haven't given up on the idea that my children should actually be taught things at school. I don't consider it a daily social skills class that they attend for 12 years. I'm not sure that I learned how to be a functional, social human being at school, anyway. Junior high?

Last edited by ultramarina; 09/09/12 11:44 AM.