Originally Posted by CCN
Originally Posted by knute974
Our other big challenge in the regular class was that DD was a chameleon. The teacher thought that DD was a typical kid. She could blend in at will. The teacher never asked "more" of DD. If she sat there quietly doing her work, then life was good. Since she wasn't a problem, her teacher could ignore her. Her teacher didn't even think that DD should test for the district GT program. When her teacher saw DD's results, she was blown away.

This is my DD. sigh.

This is our 6 year old dd. I go in to volunteer during math once a week and dd sits on the carpet, last row on the end, and is about 2 feet away from the class, daydreaming and in her own world. Since she's not outspoken or a behavioral problem I don't think the teacher even notices how 'out to lunch' dd is during the lesson.

At the beginning of the year, after our initial meeting with the teacher (and prior to having the results of the WISC testing) seemed all on board about making sure dd wasn't lost in the shuffle and that dd would be challenged. She even mentioned it the first few weeks of school, saying "don't worry, we will make sure she gets what she needs". But now I am hearing nothing. They did have a math assessment last week so I'm hoping this means they will be splitting in groups soon.

So because of dd's wallpaper personality I think it's hard for the teacher to see her for who she is. I'm wondering if differentiation doesn't seem to happen by the first conference if we should present the percentiles of her results to the teacher so she can have an idea how far out there dd is and what she is capable of if she were challenged.