I can't offer any advice ... but I have to say I can imagine that being us next year! Bear sounds 100% like my DS4! ... we were told earlier this week that DS4 has PDD and are looking into further testing but for now Asperger's seems to be the most likely choice. ... Not saying that's what your son has, just giving background info for my son. I am considering homeschooling Kindergarten but I can't get him to follow directions much unless it's something he's strongly interested in. And any kind of discipline doesn't work for him. When I tried time outs, he'd find a spec of dust on the wall interesting and entertaining for the whole time he was in time out! lol

I don't have any practical experience with homeschooling ... but how about "un-schooling"? That way he'd give you the direction to go and still learn?

My son won't follow much spoken direction but I signed up for ABCMouse.com and Starfall and he does pretty good following directions given by computer games and programs. So, maybe less formal schooling would work better?