Originally Posted by knute974
Have you have an IQ test done? I would want the preschool to know that he is gifted otherwise they may attribute some gifted behaviors to other diagnoses. I also would go and observe the preschool before considering letting your kid walk through the door. Ask yourself if this is an atmosphere where your child would thrive. Make sure that you ask how they would work with your kid on the issues that resulted in the placement/referral.

I agree with HK that preschool is a minefield for food-allergic kids. It seemed like every week there was at least one birthday party, one food-based school activity or some other "holiday" party that included food. My DS's preschool worked hard to make it a safe environment but even then, things fell through the cracks. For example, my DS ended up with red, swollen eczema-ridden hands from an egg carton caterpillar project. Obviously, there was some residual protein on the carton and it never occurred to the staff that this could be an issue. Thankfully, it did not trigger anaphylaxis.

no IQ testing done yet. Honestly, until couple months ago, I didn't even think about him possibly being gifted until I realized our younger one is and then it hit me ... the whole time I had been thinking our friends' kids were behind when in fact DS4 was ahead! lol ... he did a lot of things differently since he was a baby but I just didn't think much of it until recently. We were on a 6 months waiting list (due to our insurance) to be seen by the psychiatrist and finally got in 2 weeks ago. He's had two sessions so far and will have at least one more next week and I am hoping I can get an IQ test at least basic one done by them. But if we have to go the private route, I'd wait till the spring to get a better picture. We're doing two languages at home and there are some thing that he does in one language or the other and it could influence the test so I want to give him more time to differentiate between the languages.

Not sure though if the school could maybe do testing? Can't really mention the gifted part to the school at this point because they give priority to the kids with major academic risk (mainly those behind in basic knowledge) so they would just say we'll worry about him when he goes to K next year. ... which is what they did last year when I wanted him in that same pre-school and after their evaluation they just said he's way ahead and they'll deal with the hyperactivity issue when he goes to school. But this time we might be going in with a diagnosis of some sort(or not)