We're getting close and NOT close to K here. My DS met his teacher last week for orientation. DS immediately took to several kids in the class (they were allowed to play while the teacher went over some 'this is how we do school things'. My DH was disturbed at the errors in her powerpoint presentation...and I think probably didn't learn or listen to a thing she said because of them.

We've been told this teacher is very nice and really does encourage a deeper level of learning for her advanced students. We haven't talked with her specifically about DS, but I don't think it will take her long to realize at least his reading: he went around the room happily reading aloud the posters/signs (at first just out of habit). As several parents started to praise him, he began to read louder and LOUDER until we shut his little performance down.

Humility is up next on our after-school enrichment curriculum. Oddly enough, he's never been one to show-off, he used to HATE if I had him show my family that he was reading at 2 and 3 years old(then of course, they thought I was delusional).

So the not great news is that it's likely that our teacher's union is going to strike. The teachers say it's about class size, the board says it's about pay. We got notice on Saturday that my DS' 26 student class was lowering to 21 kids as the superintendant just brought on two more kindergarten teachers for the district.

Sadly, they can't legally strike (has to do with due notice) until the 23rd but school starts on the 15th ...so the kids will START school before the strike. Grrrrrr.