Originally Posted by st pauli girl
So my advice is to tread lightly, and try to open up the channels of communication. It takes some time for people to get on the same page of understanding what your kiddo really needs.

This: yes.

And I will go further to say this. Learning is not always linear. That is, because your child has learned thing Q, it is somewhat fallacious to think they must necessarily next learn R S T. Reading levels: I suppose they have their place, but I have never needed them for anything. Do not assume that no learning is taking place just because you are not seeing visible changes of "level" in reading and math until you've really checked it out.

It is possible that lots of subtle, interesting things are happening, and once you know the teacher and they know your child (give them some weeks) they will be able to tell you what the needs are from that teacher's perspective. Which may not be the same as yours. There may be surprises and conversation.

A certain amount of humility is needed here, because if you are sending your child to school, you are not the sole arbiter-- you get to collaborate, which should be a privilege. Why go into it assuming disaster? A really smart kid can sometimes get through school without a grade skip or even a major disaster. (I am exhibit A, with all due blushing modesty.)

Trying to stoke up for another year of pleasant educational advocacy myself. Respectful attitude and positive, cheery mindset are jobs 1 and 2, respectively.

DeeDee

Last edited by DeeDee; 08/03/12 11:10 AM. Reason: added word