I know there are several of us here who have kiddos starting K this year. My DS5 starts in two weeks. His b-day JUST missed the cut-off last year, and there are NO exceptions to early admittance, which makes me concerned about how he is going to do as one of the older ones in the class PLUS coming in already reading (probably at 3rd grade? higher in vocab than in fluidity and comprehension), doing math (doesn't have facts memorized but can easily do multifactor adding/subtracting and simple multiplication/division in his head). His newest thing is ancient Egypt, which he went on and on about the "Great Stinks" the other day (ROFL).

We live in a very educated community, so I'm really hoping that he's got some kids in the same boat with him in class (or at least in the same lake, haha). I'm not even sure at this point how advanced he is...my litmus for normal is so off, maybe there's going to be a lot of kids coming in like him.

He's definitely asynchronous with his emotional/social development, so he'll be with appropriate peers in that respect. I'm not sure if I'm more nervous that he's going to be bored or that he's going to lower his pace of learning and hunger for knowledge.

I passed up a few workbooks in the dollar bin at Target today that I would've normally picked up for him (math facts, animal facts)...I had to remind myself that he is going to be at school so much more now. We will still do supplementing at home, but we don't have the luxury of time any more. Sigh.

Anyone else commiserating? Any advice from BTDTs?

Oh yes, and he is THRILLED to start K. Today he made a count down calendar so he can put a big X through each day until he goes. At least I don't have to worry about that.