When we met with DS6's K teacher before the school year started last year I brought in a couple of the books that he was reading at the time, a couple of writing samples, and a math workbook that he had been playing with that summer. We also signed up for the last appointment time of the day so that we wouldn't have to worry about the teacher being rushed with other parents waiting. I kind of went through the pre-planned interview list that the teacher had set up and then when it got to the part where she asked if I had anything in particular to address that I made mention of the fact that DS was "different" in terms of academic interest and ability. I showed her the samples that we brought and also advised her of some of his "quirks" that we thought she should know about ahead of time. I phrased it as feeling like it was only fair to give her a head up. She was quite receptive to everything that we said and took lots of notes.

DS6 then put the exclamation point on when she asked him if he had any questions (I'm sure thinking of things like recess, lunch, bus, bathroom, etc...) and he looked at her and said "Yeah, is infinity actually a number?" I thought the poor woman's jaw might hit the floor but she recovered quickly and actually conversed with DS about the concept of infinity, the symbol used to represent it, and the debate about what, exactly, is infinity. I knew then that the year might go better than we had hoped smile