Originally Posted by DAD22
I take this to mean that the barriers to including all the values are too great for you to bother with as well. Also, you absolutely can throw out values that may be less reliable for those that are believed to be more reliable. The result is meaningful. If you want a different calculation for comparison, go make it.

You don't have any reason to believe those values may be less reliable. The same testing method has already proven itself to provide consistent, reproducible results among 26 other nations.

Originally Posted by DAD22
Seriously, are you just making that up or is my copy of the study missing pages?

The countries the authors call out as having nearly equal VRs include the Czech Republic (GGI=0.6718), Indonesia (GGI=0.6550), Morocco (GGI=0.5676), Tunisia (GGI=0.6283), and the Netherlands (GGI=0.7383). Outside of the Netherlands, those are low GGIs (sometimes very low). I think that's why they specifically stated

Originally Posted by Kane and Mertz
we also conclude that VR is reproducibly essentially unity for some countries.

rather than stating as you have implied that countries with more gender equality are the ones with VRs closer to 1.

That was a read-fail on my part. I retract it. I read examples like this and interpreted "gender gap" as GGI, where what they meant was a gap in performance:

"For example, they were essentially coincident in some
countries, such as the Czech Republic, where VR
and gender gap were near unity and zero, respectively
(Figure 2A)."