Originally Posted by Austin
LOL. I think its ingrained into human nature and for good reason. It is present in all societies across time.

And its due to the fact that only women get pregnant. And that it also takes a lot of effort to raise a child. And women have to bear this more often than not. And that this has real costs that have large inescapable burdens.

Some responses are hardwired in human beings. We cannot control what we want, only how we respond.

I think this is how I would handle it. There are so many examples of how our behaviour is driven by our "survival wiring." Males need to distribute their sperm and females need to focus on keeping the young alive and healthy. As a result, it's optimal for males to um, "share" more often, and for females to refrain, once they're pregnant and responsible for young. Therefor when males want to have sex they're praised but when females want to have sex they're thought of as being less "maternal." Since everything we do boils down to species propagation in some way or another, the less maternal females have lower status.

I like to be frank with my kids too (DS8 & DD9). I find this easier if I talk about it in terms of science & nature - then it makes sense and it's not strange or too personal.

Last edited by CCN; 07/09/12 09:02 AM.